**Keep scrolling to read about Mini-Barbershops**
In its previous session, the Texas Legislature passed a bill to license Cosmetology Mini-Salons. Please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) below to find out what a Mini-Salon is, who needs to get a Mini-Salon license, and other important details. We recommend reading all of the FAQs, as they answer the most common questions about Mini-Salons.
1. What is a Mini-Salon?
A Mini-Salon is a room (or suite of rooms) inside of a salon gallery. The Mini-Salon is operated independently from the salon gallery and any other Mini-Salons.
2. What is a salon gallery?
A salon gallery is a licensed beauty salon, specialty salon, or dual shop containing Mini-Salons, a main entrance(s), and a common hallway(s).
3. What are the requirements for a Mini-Salon?
A Mini-Salon must meet the same requirements as other salon types. See 16 Texas Administrative Code Chapter 83, Section 83.71for details.
4. What is the application fee for a Mini-Salon license?
The application fee is $60. A Mini-Salon license is good for two years.
5. When is the deadline to get a Mini-Salon license?
Mini-Salons must have their license by November 1, 2014.
6. How do I apply for a Mini-Salon license?
Applications will not be available until October 1, 2014. Starting October 1, 2014, you will be able to apply online with a debit or credit card. You will also be able to apply by mail with a cashier’s check or money order (no personal checks allowed). Check back on October 1, 2014 for the application.
7. Why was the Mini-Salon license added?
The Texas Legislature passed a bill in 2013 that created the Mini-Salon license. Now each space within a salon gallery will be inspected separately to ensure the public’s safety.
8. What is the difference between a Mini-Salon license and other salon licenses?
A Mini-Salon must be located within a salon gallery.
9. Are salon galleries required to have a license?
Yes. Salon galleries must hold a beauty salon, specialty salon, or dual shop license. That license type determines what services the licensees in the Mini-Salons are allowed to perform.
10. Can I get a specialty Mini-Salon license?
No. There are only two Cosmetology Mini-Salon license types: the Mini-Salon license and the Mini-Dual Shop license. Licensees working in a Mini-Salon or Mini-Dual Shop may only perform the services allowed under the license type held by the salon gallery.
11. Who is responsible for getting the Mini-Salon licenses in a salon gallery?
The individual/entity leasing the room or the salon gallery owner must obtain the Mini-Salon license.
12. Do I need a salon license if I am a building owner who currently leases spaces to individuals or entities with an existing beauty salon, specialty salon, or dual shop license?
No. If all salons have their own individual salon license, you do not need a salon license.
13. The salon gallery has both a Cosmetology salon license and a Barber shop license, but not a Dual Shop license. Can I still get a Mini-Dual shop license?
14. Can a Mini-Salon licensee allow others with a Cosmetology license to work in their Mini-Salon?
15. Who is responsible for maintaining the common areas and shared equipment inside a salon gallery?
The salon gallery owner is responsible for maintaining all common areas and shared equipment.
16. I have a Mini-Salon license and want to move to a different room within the same salon gallery. Can I use my current Mini-Salon license in the new room?
No. A Mini-Salon license is tied to a specific room or suite of rooms and is not transferable.
17. What is the difference between a Mini-Salon License and a Booth Rental License?
As with a regular salon license, a Mini-Salon license is tied to a location, not a person. A Booth Rental license allows a Cosmetologist licensee to work as an independent contractor at any licensed Cosmetology establishment.
18. Are we required to display the Mini-Salon license inside the Mini-Salon?
Yes. The license must be displayed at all times.
In its previous session, the Texas Legislature passed a bill to license Mini-Barbershops. Please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) below to find out what a Mini-Barbershop is, who needs to get a Mini-Barbershop permit, and other important details. We recommend reading all of the FAQs, as they answer the most common questions about Mini-Barbershops.